[ locale string ]
We are showing you the Taiwanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Sprinting for Signs
This x-ray shows the broken collar bone of Mr. Derrick Lewis. Rapha's New York agent. Derrick explains below:
The standard training route for all New Yorkers involves crossing the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey to head north on lightly used county roads. After 15 miles the road crosses back into the state of New York which is celebrated with a large sign welcoming wayward New Jerseyans to the "Empire State". This is also the coveted town line sprint x 10 for knucklehead roadies with a penchant for tom foolery. Needless to say I happen to be one of those knuckleheads. I got excited when Bravo came around me with 300 meters to go. Carey and Peter were close behind for a front row seat to watch the carnage. I got out of the saddle and made it my mission to come around Bravo fast. I picked him up with 100 meters remaining, but was sprinting with a bit higher cadence than normal and in the tossing of the bike left and right I twisted my shoe out of the pedal on a downstroke sending me to the ground at what my computer reads was about 36mph.
Lots of sliding and helmet cracking, but I bounced up and got off the road thanks to the adrenaline. Naturally, there happened to be about 15 cyclists standing around near the sign waiting for their companions to come up the climb on the other side. This was a great opportunity for me to remind them all why Saturday morning 2-up sprints are never to be taken seriously. After the adrenaline wore off I had a bout of wooziness and lost my vision for a bit. This almost convinced me to pay for the most expensive chauffeur in the business (the one with the red lights on top). My sight came around and I made the decision to take an $81 cab ride instead. During the ride I got to hear all about the budding music career of a soon to be producer. Believe me, while busted and bloody in the back of the cab I was enthralled.
Helmet destroyed. Bike lived. Jersey and shorts are literally fried.
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.