Cette page n'a pas encore été traduite en Français.
We are showing you the French version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vous visitez la version française de notre site internet. Voulez-vous changer de version?
Singapore Gentlemen's Race
In the early hours of Saturday 29th September, 76 cyclists competed in the first Asian edition of the Rapha Gentlemen's Race. A 165km team time-trial, the ride included border crossings into Malaysia (and back), a 5km hill climb with gradients in excess of 20% and a hair-raising descent. There was a strong local showing, with many of the competitors coming from Singapore. However, the event did attract some attention from overseas with competitors flying in to race from as far as Japan and England.
The climb called "Gunung Pulai" is infamous among hikers and mountain bikers in Malaysia and renowned for being an exceptionally arduous ascent with several sections at over 20% gradient. A friend and I rode it four months ago for the first time, and have been the only ones (that we're aware of) who have completed the climb without getting off and pushing our bikes. Many have tried, including those who raced last weekend; everyone who completed the climb to the race marker pushed their bikes to the very top.
For each rider who completed the climb, they gained a bonus point (the value of 40 minutes deducted from your finishing time), a lot of the teams sent all of their guys up the hill, gaining all 4 points and deducting more than 2 hours off the finishing time, climbing the hill was at their detriment on the way back (many were just exhausted and struggled over the last hot 40km (38ºC).
18 of the 19 teams successfully finished the race. Congratulations must go to all of the participants as it was a thoroughly brutal ride. Thanks go out to all of the organisers and supporters.
And of course, congratulations to the overall winners - The Confero Mavericks A-Team – a phenomenal effort with a winning time of 3hrs 16m achieved thanks to the devious bonus system described above.
The pre-race coffees were a huge success and the after-race beers were, as per usual, thoroughly appreciated.
- 3:16 - MAVERICKS "A"
- 4:19 - AGNESIA GCC
- 4:19 - FBCC BOUNTY HUNTERS
- 4:43 - RDR
- 5:22 - EQUIPE GOOD GOOD
- 5:26 - MAVERICKS "B"
- 5:52 - TEAM IR
- 5:57 - TEAM MIDPOINT
- 6:02 - BLACK ARROWS
- 6:24 - FATBOYS CC / ROTI PRATA EXPRESS
- 6:39 - FATBOYS CC #3
- 7:03 - RFC
- 8:09 - 6.15
- 8:10 - TEAM CHENG TNG
- 8:50 - BLUE BIRD FEATHER
- 9:08 - OLD STEELERS
- 9:40 - PGSK RIDERS
- 10:08 - WEEKEND WARRIORS
- DNF - TEAM RABAK
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb