[ locale string ]
Singapore Gentlemen's Race
In the early hours of Saturday 29th September, 76 cyclists competed in the first Asian edition of the Rapha Gentlemen's Race. A 165km team time-trial, the ride included border crossings into Malaysia (and back), a 5km hill climb with gradients in excess of 20% and a hair-raising descent. There was a strong local showing, with many of the competitors coming from Singapore. However, the event did attract some attention from overseas with competitors flying in to race from as far as Japan and England.
The climb called "Gunung Pulai" is infamous among hikers and mountain bikers in Malaysia and renowned for being an exceptionally arduous ascent with several sections at over 20% gradient. A friend and I rode it four months ago for the first time, and have been the only ones (that we're aware of) who have completed the climb without getting off and pushing our bikes. Many have tried, including those who raced last weekend; everyone who completed the climb to the race marker pushed their bikes to the very top.
For each rider who completed the climb, they gained a bonus point (the value of 40 minutes deducted from your finishing time), a lot of the teams sent all of their guys up the hill, gaining all 4 points and deducting more than 2 hours off the finishing time, climbing the hill was at their detriment on the way back (many were just exhausted and struggled over the last hot 40km (38ºC).
18 of the 19 teams successfully finished the race. Congratulations must go to all of the participants as it was a thoroughly brutal ride. Thanks go out to all of the organisers and supporters.
And of course, congratulations to the overall winners - The Confero Mavericks A-Team – a phenomenal effort with a winning time of 3hrs 16m achieved thanks to the devious bonus system described above.
The pre-race coffees were a huge success and the after-race beers were, as per usual, thoroughly appreciated.
- 3:16 - MAVERICKS "A"
- 4:19 - AGNESIA GCC
- 4:19 - FBCC BOUNTY HUNTERS
- 4:43 - RDR
- 5:22 - EQUIPE GOOD GOOD
- 5:26 - MAVERICKS "B"
- 5:52 - TEAM IR
- 5:57 - TEAM MIDPOINT
- 6:02 - BLACK ARROWS
- 6:24 - FATBOYS CC / ROTI PRATA EXPRESS
- 6:39 - FATBOYS CC #3
- 7:03 - RFC
- 8:09 - 6.15
- 8:10 - TEAM CHENG TNG
- 8:50 - BLUE BIRD FEATHER
- 9:08 - OLD STEELERS
- 9:40 - PGSK RIDERS
- 10:08 - WEEKEND WARRIORS
- DNF - TEAM RABAK
- Last Night: http://t.co/K8ZACmUGGK
- The #raphaprestige story is up. Film by @WEREHAUS, photos from Brian Vernor & story by @krasniakjulie ::http://t.co/YtCARBlXee
- Clancy takes the win in the Tour series in Aberystwyth.
- @alainrumpf sorry for late reply. Comprehensive site is http://t.co/gBvpR134lP. As Udo Bölts once said, 'quäl' dich, du Sau!' Enjoy!
- On Friday May 31st, Rapha will be hosting a ride from Rapperswil-Jona on the banks of Lake Zurich. More info to follow next week on rapha.cc
- Boss. Norwegian national champion's replica jersey and bib shorts now at rapha.cc. http://t.co/fpyjc3PeiM
- As the #Giro begins to climax, @herbiesykes looks at one of its long-established traditions—the one-stage wonder. → http://t.co/mydWSIHSrT
- @clotho_nor Hi Christopher, please email email@example.com and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks.
- The Tour Series continues tonight in Aberystwyth. Last year Kristian House took his second win of the series there.
- UK: We are hosting a @letapedutour evening on 14th June in London to provide detailed advice on what to expect. → http://t.co/2gP5KRi8fX