We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Satchel Ride Teaser
“By the time we had delivered the satchel to Sydney, we had retraced a unique route, crossing three states to arrive exhausted but elated. What remained was the bond that formed between the Continental riders, a unique camaraderie.” - Daniel Strauss
In 1912, a relay race was held from Adelaide to Sydney. Its aim was to determine the most effective way of transporting a satchel of military dispatches at a time of national crisis. Covering 1,149 miles, much of it over remote and challenging terrain, the race pitted cars and motorcycles against a team of cyclists. Nearly 70 hours later, when the winning team reached Sydney, it was not the team of cars, nor the team of motorcycles that recorded the fastest time. The winning team was the team of cyclists. To mark the centenary of their achievement, the Rapha Continental Australia set out to recreate their momentous achievement. The result was the Rapha Satchel Ride.
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB