We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rules of the Road
1. Road riding is a serious business
You wouldn’t go to a business meeting wearing all the colours of the rainbow. World champion stripes should only be worn if you are a world champion.
2. Standards are important
Zips up, pockets organised. The only place for a flapping jacket or jersey is when chasing down a breakaway or climbing over 3km.
3. A good fit means good form
Anything less than clean lines looks ugly and will cause discomfort. For tights, close fitting is key. That’s why they’re called ‘tights’.
4. Keep it over your hat
The arms of your sunglasses should never be tucked underneath your Winter Hat. Nor should they sit under the straps of your helmet. Espressos cannot be consumed otherwise.
Photography © Ben Ingham
5. Win by a neck
Scarves and winter collars should be worn below the chin. The one rider who could get away with wearing his scarf on his head is sadly no longer with us. If, on the other hand, you’re also a pirate, by all means continue.
6. It’s the little things
Never leave a gap between your arm warmers and jersey. A gap between your shorts and knee warmers is even worse. If your legs are covered, your arms should be too.
7. New is good
Team leaders demand fresh bar tape and clean white socks for every stage. Black socks are for training, domestiques or Mellow Johnny.
8. Ride your own race
If you adhere solely and strictly to fashion advice given to
you by a blog page, you will never possess true style. Make it your own.
Some of these rules were first featured in Bicycling magazine in 2008.
Readers may be familiar with OREC: The Official Rules of the Euro Cyclist. At times we endorse some of these 'Euro Cyclist' tenets, but not all of them.
We also have a Facebook page where you can discuss and review Rapha products: Rapha Reviews. Feel free to sign up.
- @CanyonUK Everyone loves a hug, thanks.
- @CanyonUK Do we win a prize?
- @c4shr Hello Kash, we're very sorry about that. We'll be in touch shortly to sort things out.
- RT @Strava: Are you ready for the @rapharacing #Festive500? we're challenging riders to clock 500 km between Christmas and NYE. http://t.co…
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…