We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rules of the Road
1. Road riding is a serious business
You wouldn’t go to a business meeting wearing all the colours of the rainbow. World champion stripes should only be worn if you are a world champion.
2. Standards are important
Zips up, pockets organised. The only place for a flapping jacket or jersey is when chasing down a breakaway or climbing over 3km.
3. A good fit means good form
Anything less than clean lines looks ugly and will cause discomfort. For tights, close fitting is key. That’s why they’re called ‘tights’.
4. Keep it over your hat
The arms of your sunglasses should never be tucked underneath your Winter Hat. Nor should they sit under the straps of your helmet. Espressos cannot be consumed otherwise.
Photography © Ben Ingham
5. Win by a neck
Scarves and winter collars should be worn below the chin. The one rider who could get away with wearing his scarf on his head is sadly no longer with us. If, on the other hand, you’re also a pirate, by all means continue.
6. It’s the little things
Never leave a gap between your arm warmers and jersey. A gap between your shorts and knee warmers is even worse. If your legs are covered, your arms should be too.
7. New is good
Team leaders demand fresh bar tape and clean white socks for every stage. Black socks are for training, domestiques or Mellow Johnny.
8. Ride your own race
If you adhere solely and strictly to fashion advice given to
you by a blog page, you will never possess true style. Make it your own.
Some of these rules were first featured in Bicycling magazine in 2008.
Readers may be familiar with OREC: The Official Rules of the Euro Cyclist. At times we endorse some of these 'Euro Cyclist' tenets, but not all of them.
We also have a Facebook page where you can discuss and review Rapha products: Rapha Reviews. Feel free to sign up.
- RT @CondorWarehouse: @raphacondor JLT 2014 pedals will be @SpeedplayPedals Stainless White :-) http://t.co/S4oOK2gx8t
- RT @CondorWarehouse: A massive shout out to @SpeedplayPedals just received our pedals for @raphacondor JLT 2014 bikes. Thanks guys http://t…
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Darren Edwards who receives a Rapha Backpack. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- @vickiewoodsford @tobytoof @daithetooth @WhittleFit Thanks Vickie, very kind of you to say.
- @daithetooth Thank you Dai.
- @rich_mitch @RaphaCycleClub You're welcome.
- @rich_mitch Hey Rich, you're probably best to head to our @RaphaCycleClub in London to try them on with advice some our knowledgable staff.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP