We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rules of the Road
1. Road riding is a serious business
You wouldn’t go to a business meeting wearing all the colours of the rainbow. World champion stripes should only be worn if you are a world champion.
2. Standards are important
Zips up, pockets organised. The only place for a flapping jacket or jersey is when chasing down a breakaway or climbing over 3km.
3. A good fit means good form
Anything less than clean lines looks ugly and will cause discomfort. For tights, close fitting is key. That’s why they’re called ‘tights’.
4. Keep it over your hat
The arms of your sunglasses should never be tucked underneath your Winter Hat. Nor should they sit under the straps of your helmet. Espressos cannot be consumed otherwise.
Photography © Ben Ingham
5. Win by a neck
Scarves and winter collars should be worn below the chin. The one rider who could get away with wearing his scarf on his head is sadly no longer with us. If, on the other hand, you’re also a pirate, by all means continue.
6. It’s the little things
Never leave a gap between your arm warmers and jersey. A gap between your shorts and knee warmers is even worse. If your legs are covered, your arms should be too.
7. New is good
Team leaders demand fresh bar tape and clean white socks for every stage. Black socks are for training, domestiques or Mellow Johnny.
8. Ride your own race
If you adhere solely and strictly to fashion advice given to
you by a blog page, you will never possess true style. Make it your own.
Some of these rules were first featured in Bicycling magazine in 2008.
Readers may be familiar with OREC: The Official Rules of the Euro Cyclist. At times we endorse some of these 'Euro Cyclist' tenets, but not all of them.
We also have a Facebook page where you can discuss and review Rapha products: Rapha Reviews. Feel free to sign up.
- RT @mike_cuming: good luck to the fellas @Porterelliott @willstephenson and @edlaverack in the U23 TT today...
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...