We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rouleur No. 19
He tells me the easiest way for him to tell if a frame is a Ron Cooper is by the shape of the rake of the fork blades.“It’s a gradual ascending curve which starts on the dropout and goes a third of the way up, in a perfect curve: no bumps, no flats, just a perfect curve. How’s it done? With great difficulty!” – Jack Thurston with Ron Cooper
While the shots of great champions like Engers and Burton may be familiar, it is the lesser-knowns that catch the eye: the young man rounding a marshal on his Holdsworth, the carcass of an Ever Ready rear lamp attached to his chainstay, timekeepers holding stopwatches the size of their palms.
– Ian Cleverly on British photographer Bernard Thompson
He was, without question, the last true patron, ie boss, of the peloton […] and it’s not a role you choose, rather one that chooses you, if you’re worthy. That he was undisputed patron is largely because of his temperament and manner. He was capable of saying ‘today I win’ and delivering, and he generally won in flamboyant style.
– Graeme Fife on Bernard Hinault
The groups of riders are arranged into sections and marched from workshop, to track, to bikestore, to gym and to lunch, it seems somewhat regimented and military to the outsider, but the riders seem to accept that it’s a tried and tested formula, as Chris Hoy explained, “It’s almost military in the way they do it.”
– Guy Andrews on Keirin racing
Available from www.rouleur.cc and usual stockists
- Still stuck for gift ideas for someone? Scan their Twitter/Instagram feeds for #oneoftheseplease. → http://t.co/qVKiV4q8mQ
- @xuano_4 Yes it is open to anyone.
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq #oneoftheseplease
- Congratulations to the weekend's Alpe d'Quiz winners Joanne Rushton, @tubbytrotter, @jeanztweet. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of the finest Rapha Grand Tour Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O