We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rouleur at the Classics
Rouleur consistently draws our attention to the most dramatic and brutal road riding in the world. If the term classicism could be applied to cycling journalism then Rouleur has pioneered the artform. Not that the magazine has anything to do with Ancient Greece or Rome (well, apart from the work of Graeme Fife, an expert in Classics of the Greek variety as well as the Belgian kind).
It is no surprise, especially to the road connoisseur, that Rouleur dishes up plenty of coverage on the classics, the springtime Monuments that perfectly capture the glory and suffering that make this sport so painfully beautiful. The first ever issue of Rouleur paid homage to the Redoubtable Rouleurs such as Roger De Vlaeminck, Gilbert Duclos-Lasalle and Andrei Tchmil, all Roubaix winners. The second installment of the magazine opened with an article entitled Flahute, which discussed cobblestones in detail. Rouleur no.2 also included an interview with Sean Kelly. Classic.
Jump ahead to the latest Rouleur Annual and there is a wealth of stunning imagery from the classics in 2009. Olaf Unverzart treats us to more desolate arenas of road racing, photographing cobbled climbs in Flanders. Camille J McMillan uses smoke (cigarettes mostly) and mirrors to capture close ups of the pros clattering along the pavé. Taz Darling finds moody low country atmosphere by the bucket load and Rein van de Wouw shows us the humorous and absurd, using postcards sent to the Netherlands from his travels in neighbouring Belgium. I know where I want to go this coming spring and I know Rouleur will be there too.
All images © Rouleur
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB
- Tejay on the front of the 17 man break that includes more than a few heavies. http://t.co/hJmdvUHLeS