We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rouleur 21: Keirin Part Two
All images © Taz Darling & Rouleur
Words: Guy Andrews | Photographs: Taz Darling
“Riders are assembling and adjusting their bikes, replacing sprockets and chains. With all this tinkering going on, it has the appearance of an amateur track meet, not the highest prize-winning track final in the world.”
“They stretch and shout aloud. The atmosphere has changed in an instant. It feels immediately charged, and the waiting area suddenly falls into silence. As they are called to the gate, the racers wait behind the doors of the entrance to the track. It feels more like the Coliseum than a velodrome.”
“As night falls and the final approaches, fireworks and fanfares welcome the big hitters to the track and the big stars of keirin are introduced to the crowd. There’s more bowing and ceremony, and once the racing is underway, the sprint for the line is a confusing muddle of cheering and flashbulbs.”
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB