We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rouleur 20: Farewell to Perren St.
We couldn’t let the twentieth edition of the magazine pass by without marking several milestones in Rouleur’s short but celebrated lifetime.
Riders take a back seat for once as we celebrate the art of the bicycle, with legendary manufacturers De Rosa, Nagasawa, San Marco, Time and TA all receiving the Rouleur treatment, with images from Gerard Brown, Taz Darling and Ben Ingham.
We have included a style section with a difference, shot in the weird and wonderful Essex bungalows of east London’s cycling clubs. Regular columnists Johnny Green, Matt Seaton and William Fotheringham wax lyrical on their component of choice. Mike Barry – father of Team Sky pro and Le Metier author Michael Barry – turns out to be a world authority on the seemingly dry, yet strangely intriguing, subject of derailleurs…
That’s 162 pages of bikes, bits and the stories behind them, marking our departure from Kentish Town and Rapha HQ to our very own offices in Shoreditch. What better way to celebrate Rouleur’s coming of age than with the perfect symbol of tinkerers and bodgers alike – the bike shed, shot on the roof of Imperial Works, Perren St.
“It happened by accident…well, most of it. We wanted to shoot the inside of a bike shed, so we spoke to set designer Rhea and model maker Luke and the rest was down to some seriously hard graft by them.
“The fact that we shot it on the roof at the old Rouleur HQ and Rapha's offices at Perren Street was down to Taz deciding it was the perfect setting, and as we'd just moved out, it just seemed fitting. Which meant that the shed had to be rebuilt there…
“We can't thank Luke aan de Wiel, Rhea Thierstein, Simon Watts, Samara Tompsett, John Sutcliffe (the model), Gino (the other model) and Ben Ingham enough as they all worked really hard to make the one shot work. That's it really - the farewell to Perren Street.
Guy Andrews - Editor
De Rosa | Herbie Sykes
Specialties TA | Graeme Fife
San Marco | Guy Andrews
Time | Rohan Dubash
Nagasawa | Daisuke Yano
What Goes Around | Guy Andrews
Ugley | Ian Cleverly
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: LDN: great to have @DanMartin86 as guest barista in the club this afternoon. http://t.co/IeCC0HKuKr
- Part Two from @RigoZimmerman's series, ‘The Winter’ is now available to read → http://t.co/GIl5Kj9Sfy • Part One → http://t.co/8IclbHCHcc
- As teased at the weekend, Rapha is pleased to welcome the return of Alpe d’Quiz, three weeks of… http://t.co/od3pWXomm9