We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Roger Rivière started his career in the velodrome. In 1955 he beat Jacques Anquetil in the national pursuit championship at the Parc des Princes. Two years later, after winning the world pursuit title, he turned pro for St. Raphaël, riding with the likes of Anquetil and Rudi Altig. He won the world pursuit championship again in 1958 and became the first rider to exceed 47kmh on the track.
In the 1960 Tour, Rivière was set to take the yellow jersey on a stage to Avignon when he flew off the road on a descent, breaking his back. He blamed the team mechanic and faulty brakes yet Palfium, a morphine like substance, was found in his jersey pockets. He was 24 years old. The man from St. Etienne won five Tour stages, three world pursuit titles and set the world hour record twice before his career was tragically cut short.
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB