We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Roger Rivière started his career in the velodrome. In 1955 he beat Jacques Anquetil in the national pursuit championship at the Parc des Princes. Two years later, after winning the world pursuit title, he turned pro for St. Raphaël, riding with the likes of Anquetil and Rudi Altig. He won the world pursuit championship again in 1958 and became the first rider to exceed 47kmh on the track.
In the 1960 Tour, Rivière was set to take the yellow jersey on a stage to Avignon when he flew off the road on a descent, breaking his back. He blamed the team mechanic and faulty brakes yet Palfium, a morphine like substance, was found in his jersey pockets. He was 24 years old. The man from St. Etienne won five Tour stages, three world pursuit titles and set the world hour record twice before his career was tragically cut short.
- @CanyonUK Everyone loves a hug, thanks.
- @CanyonUK Do we win a prize?
- @c4shr Hello Kash, we're very sorry about that. We'll be in touch shortly to sort things out.
- RT @Strava: Are you ready for the @rapharacing #Festive500? we're challenging riders to clock 500 km between Christmas and NYE. http://t.co…
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…