Diese Seite wurde noch nicht in die gewünschte Sprache übersetzt.
We are showing you the German version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Sie befinden sich in der deutschen Version unserer Webseite: Möchten Sie eine andere Sprache auswählen?
The Grand Tours of cycling conjure up many things. Like sunshine, air-horns, motorcades, screaming fans, inflatable giraffes and glorious mountain passes. Each summer, the roads along which these races travel become decorated with a spectrum of names, messages, slogans and images as a declaration of support, disdain and love.
To have your 12 by 12 foot daubing of "ALLEZ ANDY" or “FORZA PELIZOTTI!” (the Italians, of course, giving us the term ‘graffiti’) on the tarmac of Ventoux captured on camera by a Eurosport helicopter is an accolade any cycling fanatic or pirate artist could wish for. Even a small message of “HAVE IT NEVILLE” to your brother-in-law on the 12th hairpin of Alpe d’Huez is a valuable token of faith and a small reminder that everyone can ride and conquer in the greatest arenas of the sport.
These colourful letters and shapes we see along the mountain passes of Europe written with cans, brushes and rollers add to the personal nature of the sport (which other sporting event allows you to scream encouragement down the neck of your hero as they climb?). It is an enduring icon of road racing and an artform in itself.
Graffiti, Geoff Waugh’s entry in this year’s Rouleur Annual, pays tribute to this fanatical vandalism, with an introduction by Johnny Green.
© Geoff Waugh & Rouleur
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/TfWWoTG1ge
- RT @CondorWarehouse: @raphacondor JLT 2014 pedals will be @SpeedplayPedals Stainless White :-) http://t.co/S4oOK2gx8t
- RT @CondorWarehouse: A massive shout out to @SpeedplayPedals just received our pedals for @raphacondor JLT 2014 bikes. Thanks guys http://t…
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Darren Edwards who receives a Rapha Backpack. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- @vickiewoodsford @tobytoof @daithetooth @WhittleFit Thanks Vickie, very kind of you to say.
- @daithetooth Thank you Dai.
- @rich_mitch @RaphaCycleClub You're welcome.
- @rich_mitch Hey Rich, you're probably best to head to our @RaphaCycleClub in London to try them on with advice some our knowledgable staff.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…