We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Red Hook Crit No. 4
The other night New York City was gifted the opportunity to see an amazing spectacle. The Red Hook Criterium sent 150 cyclists spinning around a foreboding crit course through the industrial wasteland of Red Hook on brakeless fixed gear bicycles. The beauty of Dave Trimble's event is that he manages to attract all walks of cycling life to the show. There are roadies, mountain bikers, track racers, and fixed-gear-freestyler-working-messenger-kids (or whatever the approved moniker is for this sub genre of cycling). A friend mentioned "this feels like high school, in a good way." We all laughed, but she was very right. Although, I don't remember having so much fun in high school.
The riders battled 20 degree temps to spin hot laps around the course. Fortunately for the spectators, our friends at La Colombe were pouring coffee (gratis) from their own H-Van. How could you not love these folks? That same H-Van added to the spectacle by parading the riders around the course for the opening lap. Although a parade lap would certainly be all the little van could handle for after the sound of the gun the race became excruciatingly fast.
The lead group drove such a pace that it quickly became a 4 person breakaway. After shedding riders one by one for 45 minutes, Mr. Daniel Chabanov would go on to win his second consecutive Red Hook Crit and thousands of New Yorkers would be thankful to have such a vibrant cycling community.
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb