We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Red Hook Crit No. 4
The other night New York City was gifted the opportunity to see an amazing spectacle. The Red Hook Criterium sent 150 cyclists spinning around a foreboding crit course through the industrial wasteland of Red Hook on brakeless fixed gear bicycles. The beauty of Dave Trimble's event is that he manages to attract all walks of cycling life to the show. There are roadies, mountain bikers, track racers, and fixed-gear-freestyler-working-messenger-kids (or whatever the approved moniker is for this sub genre of cycling). A friend mentioned "this feels like high school, in a good way." We all laughed, but she was very right. Although, I don't remember having so much fun in high school.
The riders battled 20 degree temps to spin hot laps around the course. Fortunately for the spectators, our friends at La Colombe were pouring coffee (gratis) from their own H-Van. How could you not love these folks? That same H-Van added to the spectacle by parading the riders around the course for the opening lap. Although a parade lap would certainly be all the little van could handle for after the sound of the gun the race became excruciatingly fast.
The lead group drove such a pace that it quickly became a 4 person breakaway. After shedding riders one by one for 45 minutes, Mr. Daniel Chabanov would go on to win his second consecutive Red Hook Crit and thousands of New Yorkers would be thankful to have such a vibrant cycling community.
- @clotho_nor Hi Christopher, please email email@example.com and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks.
- The Tour Series continues tonight in Aberystwyth. Last year Kristian House took his second win of the series there.
- UK: We are hosting a @letapedutour evening on 14th June in London to provide detailed advice on what to expect. → http://t.co/2gP5KRi8fX
- Churchill → http://t.co/5yhkiupJAH #raphasurvey #wayfaring #cycling
- No change overall at the Ras today, Rich Handley remains in 5th, and Mike Cuming stills leads KOM
- RT @anpostras: Provisional GC after Stage 5: Bialoblocki, McConvey, Guldhammer <all @st, Handley & Pelletier-Roy @24secs, Fodor @46secs, Hu…
- RT @anpostras: Mike Cuming (Rapha Condor JLT) Will wear Mountains Jersey again, after Stage 5 #Ras2013
- RT @NickLathamPhoto: @raphacondor Photos of Kristian House winning Durham stage in a blog post at http://t.co/wHX8d0mlQc #tourseries Pls R…
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…