[ locale string ]
We are showing you the Taiwanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Red Hook Crit No. 4
The other night New York City was gifted the opportunity to see an amazing spectacle. The Red Hook Criterium sent 150 cyclists spinning around a foreboding crit course through the industrial wasteland of Red Hook on brakeless fixed gear bicycles. The beauty of Dave Trimble's event is that he manages to attract all walks of cycling life to the show. There are roadies, mountain bikers, track racers, and fixed-gear-freestyler-working-messenger-kids (or whatever the approved moniker is for this sub genre of cycling). A friend mentioned "this feels like high school, in a good way." We all laughed, but she was very right. Although, I don't remember having so much fun in high school.
The riders battled 20 degree temps to spin hot laps around the course. Fortunately for the spectators, our friends at La Colombe were pouring coffee (gratis) from their own H-Van. How could you not love these folks? That same H-Van added to the spectacle by parading the riders around the course for the opening lap. Although a parade lap would certainly be all the little van could handle for after the sound of the gun the race became excruciatingly fast.
The lead group drove such a pace that it quickly became a 4 person breakaway. After shedding riders one by one for 45 minutes, Mr. Daniel Chabanov would go on to win his second consecutive Red Hook Crit and thousands of New Yorkers would be thankful to have such a vibrant cycling community.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.