We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Reasons to be Cheerful
photo by jtred23
Still mourning the last sun of summer? Bemoaning the passing of long, hot days, and five-hour rides stretching long into the evening? (The British reader may be struggling to recall any long, hot rides on home roads these past few months, but that is selective memory. Think hard).
Then snap out of it and embrace the beauty of autumn. Keats, to my knowledge, was not a cyclist of note, but he knew his season of mists and mellow fruitfulness alright. The fruit-laden trees have done their job once more, the sun is low and the temperature slowly receding, and it is all good. Autumn is quite the most enjoyable riding season.
Consider the benefits. No more leg-shaving; no more pretending it is warm enough for shorts and sleeveless jersey, shivering all the while. Wearing all your favourite clothing in one go, topped off with a proper cap. No pressure – the road season finally over, a ride is just that, and not training.
The chances of rain may be higher, but so are the chances of seeing something memorable (the herd of deer crossing my path in Epping Forest the other day spring to mind). We can take the time to fully appreciate the view.
Autumn in cycling circles was always – and may still be – referred to as the ‘social season’, a time for club dinners, catching up with old friends and supping the occasional ale or two before knuckling down to the serious business in December.
And for those of a permanent competitive bent, hill climbs, cyclo-cross and roller racing should keep the racing monkey off your back through the coming months.
So make the most of it. It’ll be Christmas before you know it…
- @daithetooth Thank you Dai.
- @rich_mitch @RaphaCycleClub You're welcome.
- @rich_mitch Hey Rich, you're probably best to head to our @RaphaCycleClub in London to try them on with advice some our knowledgable staff.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k