We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rapha Gentlemen's Race 2012
Course photo by Chris Milliman
Tomorrow morning the NE Rapha Gentlemen's Race 2012 will kick off in lovely New Hampshire. This year's course was devised by our photographer friend and frequent contributor, Chris Milliman. Over the past few years Chris has organised, via email blast, a ride he calls the UV EPIC, covering some of the toughest dirt roads around his hometown of Hanover, NH.
If you're wondering "what exactly is a Gentlemen's Race?" check out this handy account that Slate Olson, Rapha's North American GM and founder of this particular style of racing, has written about the inaugural event – From the Race Director.
The hashtag on the above photo (#RGR) will serve as a way for you to track the race on Twitter (and interact, if you like). Last year during the NW race, the hashtag was a trending topic on Twitter. Not that we have any idea what that means, but we are pretty sure it's a good thing. Keep an eye on #RGR as the race unfolds over the course of the day. And definitely keep an eye out for @BikeBeth and her backpack of bacon.
There are 27 teams participating in this year's race making it the largest East Coast Rapha Gentlemen's Race yet. Below are a few of their twitter feeds so that you can go straight to the source of the pain. Apparently, the actual course will be like nothing that anyone has ever experienced at a Rapha Gentlemen's Race before. So, follow along as the teams attempt to slay Milliman's course – and then slay Milliman when their attempts fail. Send them words of encouragement and maybe even pictures of your own weekend's dirt road adventures.
Team Name - Team Leader - @Twitter handle
- Geekhouse Bikes - Marty Walsh - @Geekhousebike
- Whoo Girls! - Abigail Isolda - @CyclocrossGal
- Superannuated - Chandler Delinks - @cdelinks
- Bicycle Therapy/ Melitta - Jack Drummond - @TeamBT
- BSM Cycling - Samuel Klontz - @BSMCycling
- Team Awesome - Robert Morgan - @Team_Awesomer
- Deathriders - Jed Kornbluh - @Jedkornbluh
- Stampede! - Sean Pantellere - @Team_Stampede
- Upton Bass Racing - Keith Kelly - @Kelrock1977
- Hup United NE - Mike Whitfield - @hupnewbelgium
- Rapha Women's Ambassadors - Joy Stark - @realprideandjoy
- RT @CondorWarehouse: @raphacondor JLT 2014 pedals will be @SpeedplayPedals Stainless White :-) http://t.co/S4oOK2gx8t
- RT @CondorWarehouse: A massive shout out to @SpeedplayPedals just received our pedals for @raphacondor JLT 2014 bikes. Thanks guys http://t…
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Darren Edwards who receives a Rapha Backpack. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- @vickiewoodsford @tobytoof @daithetooth @WhittleFit Thanks Vickie, very kind of you to say.
- @daithetooth Thank you Dai.
- @rich_mitch @RaphaCycleClub You're welcome.
- @rich_mitch Hey Rich, you're probably best to head to our @RaphaCycleClub in London to try them on with advice some our knowledgable staff.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP