We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rapha Gentlemen's Race 2012
Course photo by Chris Milliman
Tomorrow morning the NE Rapha Gentlemen's Race 2012 will kick off in lovely New Hampshire. This year's course was devised by our photographer friend and frequent contributor, Chris Milliman. Over the past few years Chris has organised, via email blast, a ride he calls the UV EPIC, covering some of the toughest dirt roads around his hometown of Hanover, NH.
If you're wondering "what exactly is a Gentlemen's Race?" check out this handy account that Slate Olson, Rapha's North American GM and founder of this particular style of racing, has written about the inaugural event – From the Race Director.
The hashtag on the above photo (#RGR) will serve as a way for you to track the race on Twitter (and interact, if you like). Last year during the NW race, the hashtag was a trending topic on Twitter. Not that we have any idea what that means, but we are pretty sure it's a good thing. Keep an eye on #RGR as the race unfolds over the course of the day. And definitely keep an eye out for @BikeBeth and her backpack of bacon.
There are 27 teams participating in this year's race making it the largest East Coast Rapha Gentlemen's Race yet. Below are a few of their twitter feeds so that you can go straight to the source of the pain. Apparently, the actual course will be like nothing that anyone has ever experienced at a Rapha Gentlemen's Race before. So, follow along as the teams attempt to slay Milliman's course – and then slay Milliman when their attempts fail. Send them words of encouragement and maybe even pictures of your own weekend's dirt road adventures.
Team Name - Team Leader - @Twitter handle
- Geekhouse Bikes - Marty Walsh - @Geekhousebike
- Whoo Girls! - Abigail Isolda - @CyclocrossGal
- Superannuated - Chandler Delinks - @cdelinks
- Bicycle Therapy/ Melitta - Jack Drummond - @TeamBT
- BSM Cycling - Samuel Klontz - @BSMCycling
- Team Awesome - Robert Morgan - @Team_Awesomer
- Deathriders - Jed Kornbluh - @Jedkornbluh
- Stampede! - Sean Pantellere - @Team_Stampede
- Upton Bass Racing - Keith Kelly - @Kelrock1977
- Hup United NE - Mike Whitfield - @hupnewbelgium
- Rapha Women's Ambassadors - Joy Stark - @realprideandjoy
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX
- If you're in Scottsdale, Arizona, make sure to stop by the beautiful new @bicyclehaus shop. 2 - 7pm. http://t.co/gsWtf6fa45
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.