We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rapha Continental: Cold Knob
It is kind of fun for me to look back through these photos as they go up each week. Taking me back, if even just for a minute or two to that crazy trip that we did this summer.
I also realized as I went back through my Embrocation archives of this trip that I didn't write anything down about this ride. Which is odd, considering the fact that there were many things that happened:
Dan got three flats in a manner of minutes resulting in his attempt at throwing his bike off a cliff. About one minute later we watched in horror as an 18 wheeled logging truck locked all 18 wheels and slid through the same corner narrowly missing us, but not missing a beat, and rolling on. Minutes later a black bear crossed the road in front of us at a speed I've never witnessed an animal traveling. And Steve Francisco laughed from the drivers seat as week pummeled ourselves into the dirt roads we traversed. But we carried on. And then we made him do our shopping. And that was only in the last hour.
I hadn't realized just how much I had forgotten about this ride. How many of the little moments had just been glossed over in my mind. But the reason for this, I think, is that the climb on this route, Cold Knob, was something that I will never forget.
Michael tried to warn us the night before, but quite possibly we were too sleep deprived to listen.
In any case, if you're looking for a little pain in your life. If you are looking to verify your existence as a cyclist, as a human, and you happen to be in West Virginia anytime soon. Check out this ride. And while you are at it read through Michael's write up. It is a beautiful account of our trip there, interweaving a thread of local history through the story that we lived together. Well done.
- @clotho_nor Hi Christopher, please email email@example.com and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks.
- The Tour Series continues tonight in Aberystwyth. Last year Kristian House took his second win of the series there.
- UK: We are hosting a @letapedutour evening on 14th June in London to provide detailed advice on what to expect. → http://t.co/2gP5KRi8fX
- Churchill → http://t.co/5yhkiupJAH #raphasurvey #wayfaring #cycling
- No change overall at the Ras today, Rich Handley remains in 5th, and Mike Cuming stills leads KOM
- RT @anpostras: Provisional GC after Stage 5: Bialoblocki, McConvey, Guldhammer <all @st, Handley & Pelletier-Roy @24secs, Fodor @46secs, Hu…
- RT @anpostras: Mike Cuming (Rapha Condor JLT) Will wear Mountains Jersey again, after Stage 5 #Ras2013
- RT @NickLathamPhoto: @raphacondor Photos of Kristian House winning Durham stage in a blog post at http://t.co/wHX8d0mlQc #tourseries Pls R…
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…