We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rapha Cent Cols: The Alps
WORDS: Phil Deeker
Stage one of the Rapha CCC Alps ridden by all. Some fast riders at front, setting a fierce pace. Interesting to see if they are still this competitive in eight days time. Some stragglers at the back, but they should be able to ‘get round’… Some have already gone into survival mode. Could be a long ride…
Only 150km but still made 3,900m of climbing. All agreed a tough enough one to open the event. ALL will remember the Col de Plan Bois – a typical Cent Cols climb that no one knew about before today. At just 6 km long, it rarely dips under 10% and the last ramp found me tugging on the bars. Looked down at Garmin to see 20% dropping to 18%. So that was why…
Lunch at the top at the superb Auberge du Plan Bois, sitting outside in the sun with a mountain vista all around and a plate full of Alpine hams and cheeses put a bit of life back into riders’ veins.
Our oldest rider, at 75, found it a wee bit hard and has confessed that maybe he has bitten off more than he can chew, will use the broomwagon quite frequently. But so would I at that age!
Galibier & Glandon headlining acts tomorrow and weather looks good. An epic stage, but reduced to 4,600m of UP from the original 6,100m of last year – had a snowstorm not caused the stage to be called off at Valloire.
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…
- Still stuck for gift ideas for someone? Scan their Twitter/Instagram feeds for #oneoftheseplease. → http://t.co/qVKiV4q8mQ
- @xuano_4 Yes it is open to anyone.
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq #oneoftheseplease
- Congratulations to the weekend's Alpe d'Quiz winners Joanne Rushton, @tubbytrotter, @jeanztweet. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq