We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rapha Cent Cols: The Alps
WORDS: Phil Deeker
Stage one of the Rapha CCC Alps ridden by all. Some fast riders at front, setting a fierce pace. Interesting to see if they are still this competitive in eight days time. Some stragglers at the back, but they should be able to ‘get round’… Some have already gone into survival mode. Could be a long ride…
Only 150km but still made 3,900m of climbing. All agreed a tough enough one to open the event. ALL will remember the Col de Plan Bois – a typical Cent Cols climb that no one knew about before today. At just 6 km long, it rarely dips under 10% and the last ramp found me tugging on the bars. Looked down at Garmin to see 20% dropping to 18%. So that was why…
Lunch at the top at the superb Auberge du Plan Bois, sitting outside in the sun with a mountain vista all around and a plate full of Alpine hams and cheeses put a bit of life back into riders’ veins.
Our oldest rider, at 75, found it a wee bit hard and has confessed that maybe he has bitten off more than he can chew, will use the broomwagon quite frequently. But so would I at that age!
Galibier & Glandon headlining acts tomorrow and weather looks good. An epic stage, but reduced to 4,600m of UP from the original 6,100m of last year – had a snowstorm not caused the stage to be called off at Valloire.
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.