We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rapha Cent Cols: The Alps
WORDS: Phil Deeker
Stage one of the Rapha CCC Alps ridden by all. Some fast riders at front, setting a fierce pace. Interesting to see if they are still this competitive in eight days time. Some stragglers at the back, but they should be able to ‘get round’… Some have already gone into survival mode. Could be a long ride…
Only 150km but still made 3,900m of climbing. All agreed a tough enough one to open the event. ALL will remember the Col de Plan Bois – a typical Cent Cols climb that no one knew about before today. At just 6 km long, it rarely dips under 10% and the last ramp found me tugging on the bars. Looked down at Garmin to see 20% dropping to 18%. So that was why…
Lunch at the top at the superb Auberge du Plan Bois, sitting outside in the sun with a mountain vista all around and a plate full of Alpine hams and cheeses put a bit of life back into riders’ veins.
Our oldest rider, at 75, found it a wee bit hard and has confessed that maybe he has bitten off more than he can chew, will use the broomwagon quite frequently. But so would I at that age!
Galibier & Glandon headlining acts tomorrow and weather looks good. An epic stage, but reduced to 4,600m of UP from the original 6,100m of last year – had a snowstorm not caused the stage to be called off at Valloire.
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0