We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Pro Visit with Tim Johnson
Photos by Jeff Curtes
Red Bull Cyclocross Racer and former U.S. National Cyclocross Champion Tim Johnson stopped by the office this morning to go for a little cross ride with us. Somehow we finagled him into a Red Classic Softshell that we had emblazoned with the Red Bull logo. Johnson is in town to race the USGP's this weekend out at the Portland International Raceway.
We all gathered at the office and then headed up and over the famous St. Johns bridge and into Forest Park. First it was up Saltzman, down Fire Lane 5 and then back on Lief. Tim took the time to ask any questions put to him, especially those by local Pro racer Steven Hunter as seen here:
I would venture to say that we would play host to Mr. Johnson any day of the week. His stories of cyclocross worlds, his days racing for Saturn Cycling (alongside Chris Horner, Jonathan Page and Mark McCormack,) as well as a funny one of Johnny Sundt putting hot embrocation on before he pulled up his skinsuit were a great reminder that Pro's are people too. Which is easy to forget when you are standing on the sidelines watching him blaze a trail on the Cross Courses around the country. However, if you get a chance to say hello to Tim, do so, he has to be one of the most accessible athletes on the pro racing circuit today.
After the ride we headed over to visit our local baristas Matt and Aubrey at the Blue Gardenia for some coffee, pastries and stories. The talk quickly turned from riding and racing to the finer points of staying out on Jantzen Island and the merits of the Bagel Dog for post ride recovery. But other interesting points to the conversations were humorous asides about the things said on the start line (in this case between Geoff Kabush and Ryan Trebon) and the news that Tim will be racing the Cyclocross World Championships in Prague at the end of January.
Thanks for stopping by and good luck tomorrow.
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX
- If you're in Scottsdale, Arizona, make sure to stop by the beautiful new @bicyclehaus shop. 2 - 7pm. http://t.co/gsWtf6fa45
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.