We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Post Tour of California Playlist
Arranged by Simon Robins
Having been fortunate enough to follow this year’s Amgen Tour of California, it’s easy to see why this cycling Mecca has earned the nickname ‘The Golden State’. Seemingly endless sun, sparkling blue waters and of course, perfectly tanned bodies abound. Over the course of the week, we headed south and watched as the San Francisco fog melted away to reveal a shimmering landscape full of photographic, musical and riding possibilities.
And what better way to enjoy tracking the peloton, than a soundtrack inspired by California’s geographical diversity, its people and vibrant culture. Over the decades these elements have combined to form a melodic maelstrom from which inspired jams are often produced. From the Bakersfield sound of the ‘50s led by Buck Owens, to San Francisco’s psychedelic folk-rock scene with bands like the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane; and more recently playing host to several music festivals including Coachella, California’s musical contribution to the world is legendary.
It is for this very reason a play list has been created that pays homage to this incredible part of America, and the musicians that helped make it famous. From classic country, to psych-rock and hip-hop, each track reflects the drama and excitement of this year’s Amgen Tour of California.
Tour of California Mix
Dick Dale - Surf Buggy
The Byrds - Wasn't Born to Follow
Sic Alps - L. Mansion
Sly & The Family Stone - Free as a Bird
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - We're All in Love
Mazzy Star - Happy
The Oh Sees - Block of Ice
Pavement - Gold Soundz
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Zig Zag Wanderer
Ty Segall - Girlfriend
Geographer - Kites
Papercuts - Unavailable
Blackalicious - Make You Feel That Way
2Pac, Dr. Dre - California Love
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX