We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
WORDS: Max Leonard
‘Petrichor’ was coined by two Australian researchers writing in the journal Nature in 1964, deriving its meaning from the Greek words petra, ‘stone’, and ichor, the mythical fluid that flows through the veins of the gods (and some cyclists). Petrichor: the smell of rain hitting dry ground.
After a hot and dry April and May, riding in the rain has been something of a relief. Undifferentiated conditions – even good ones – can sap the enthusiasm, and this unseasonal weather also helps measure progress, providing a yardstick by which to judge how the sunny kilometres have improved the lungs and legs since the dark days earlier in the year. There’s a psychological aspect too.
Perversely, a rainy spell has improved my motivation. It is a reminder that riding is not only fun: there is a point to this training, and a little unpleasantness now is good mental and physical preparation for the tough times ahead – climbing the mountains, crossing the line.
Most important is the sensory kick, whether I was on a rain-lashed road across a firing range in Wales, watching the SAS out on training manoeuvres, or just pelting around Regent’s Park, that thick mineral odour smells good.
Follow Max on Twitter - twitter.com/@m_xl
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!