Diese Seite wurde noch nicht in die gewünschte Sprache übersetzt.
We are showing you the German version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Sie befinden sich in der deutschen Version unserer Webseite: Möchten Sie eine andere Sprache auswählen?
WORDS: Max Leonard
‘Petrichor’ was coined by two Australian researchers writing in the journal Nature in 1964, deriving its meaning from the Greek words petra, ‘stone’, and ichor, the mythical fluid that flows through the veins of the gods (and some cyclists). Petrichor: the smell of rain hitting dry ground.
After a hot and dry April and May, riding in the rain has been something of a relief. Undifferentiated conditions – even good ones – can sap the enthusiasm, and this unseasonal weather also helps measure progress, providing a yardstick by which to judge how the sunny kilometres have improved the lungs and legs since the dark days earlier in the year. There’s a psychological aspect too.
Perversely, a rainy spell has improved my motivation. It is a reminder that riding is not only fun: there is a point to this training, and a little unpleasantness now is good mental and physical preparation for the tough times ahead – climbing the mountains, crossing the line.
Most important is the sensory kick, whether I was on a rain-lashed road across a firing range in Wales, watching the SAS out on training manoeuvres, or just pelting around Regent’s Park, that thick mineral odour smells good.
Follow Max on Twitter - twitter.com/@m_xl
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…
- Still stuck for gift ideas for someone? Scan their Twitter/Instagram feeds for #oneoftheseplease. → http://t.co/qVKiV4q8mQ
- @xuano_4 Yes it is open to anyone.
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq #oneoftheseplease
- Congratulations to the weekend's Alpe d'Quiz winners Joanne Rushton, @tubbytrotter, @jeanztweet. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of the finest Rapha Grand Tour Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…