Diese Seite wurde noch nicht in die gewünschte Sprache übersetzt.
We are showing you the German version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Sie befinden sich in der deutschen Version unserer Webseite: Möchten Sie eine andere Sprache auswählen?
WORDS: Max Leonard
‘Petrichor’ was coined by two Australian researchers writing in the journal Nature in 1964, deriving its meaning from the Greek words petra, ‘stone’, and ichor, the mythical fluid that flows through the veins of the gods (and some cyclists). Petrichor: the smell of rain hitting dry ground.
After a hot and dry April and May, riding in the rain has been something of a relief. Undifferentiated conditions – even good ones – can sap the enthusiasm, and this unseasonal weather also helps measure progress, providing a yardstick by which to judge how the sunny kilometres have improved the lungs and legs since the dark days earlier in the year. There’s a psychological aspect too.
Perversely, a rainy spell has improved my motivation. It is a reminder that riding is not only fun: there is a point to this training, and a little unpleasantness now is good mental and physical preparation for the tough times ahead – climbing the mountains, crossing the line.
Most important is the sensory kick, whether I was on a rain-lashed road across a firing range in Wales, watching the SAS out on training manoeuvres, or just pelting around Regent’s Park, that thick mineral odour smells good.
Follow Max on Twitter - twitter.com/@m_xl
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/TfWWoTG1ge
- RT @CondorWarehouse: @raphacondor JLT 2014 pedals will be @SpeedplayPedals Stainless White :-) http://t.co/S4oOK2gx8t
- RT @CondorWarehouse: A massive shout out to @SpeedplayPedals just received our pedals for @raphacondor JLT 2014 bikes. Thanks guys http://t…
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Darren Edwards who receives a Rapha Backpack. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- @vickiewoodsford @tobytoof @daithetooth @WhittleFit Thanks Vickie, very kind of you to say.
- @daithetooth Thank you Dai.
- @rich_mitch @RaphaCycleClub You're welcome.
- @rich_mitch Hey Rich, you're probably best to head to our @RaphaCycleClub in London to try them on with advice some our knowledgable staff.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…