Questa pagina non è ancora stata tradotta nella lingua che hai scelto.
[ locale string ]
[ locale string ]
The bike was a pale blue ‘Paramount’ from a local cycle dealer near my home town of Nottingham, actually I think the frame was made by Mercian of Derby but with Paramount stickers. It was bought from a friend of my dad’s and, of course, was second hand. The man, who was a member of the local camera club (that’s how my Dad knew him), was also a member of the Beeston Road Club. He suggested that maybe if I wanted to join some of the club riders on a Sunday for a ride that he would make sure I was ok and he often went on the rides too.
My family have never travelled outside of England, we didn’t speak any languages and so when I used to come home and start talking to my father about Jaques Anquetil or Fausto Coppi my Dad said ‘where did you get those words from, what do they mean?’
At the age of 12 I rode my first race – got completely hooked on the competitive spirit, the teamwork and, of course, something called The Tour de France – and more words to confuse my father started to appear, to mention a few: Maillot Jaune, Le Classement General, Pyrenees, Le Tour, Champion du Monde, Tourmalet, Directeur de la Course, Alpe d’Huez. Of course, I probably pronounced them completely incorrectly but…
My obsession continued and I then became a junior having to apply for a racing license and also started to ride the track, saving up and getting a yellow Paramount track bike. Of course, I kept the bikes in my bedroom – much to the horror of my mum – so I could worship them constantly. Without realising it, this was probably the start of my interest in how I looked and how ‘things’ looked. The correct shoes, socks, shorts, hat… everything.
The Rapha + Paul Smith Cap, based on Sir Paul's original Beeston RC cap, and the entire 2011 collection is available here »
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc