[ locale string ]
We are showing you the Taiwanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Passo di Larch III
"Never have I been so cold in my entire life." I remember thinking this as I headed back down to the base of Larch Mountain. Then, as I gripped the top-tube of my quaking bike with my legs I thought to myself. "Oh wait, this is exactly what this descent was like last year." Somehow it is easy to block these things from your mind, be it a year, or sometimes days later. Wonder what Andy would say about heading back up the Gavia?
In 1988 Andy Hampsten rode the Gavia and it covered him with snow and ice. Each year we ride the Passo de Larch to commemorate (commiserate?) with this surely epic feat. House Industries recently did a commemorative print on the subject.
With Slate Olson at the helm of this ride we not only pedal our bicycles in tribute, but we give the man himself a call before we take off. Not sure exactly what went on in the secretive conversation between Olson and Hampsten, but it left us awestruck and ready to ride nonetheless.
The only snow visible was dirty and shoved off the side of the road, whereas with the previous years version we did not make it to the top. This year was another story altogether and a group of us waited for the others as long as our shivering frames would allow. This hammered home the point that misery does love company, because we all had our share of moaning about the cold and wet. However, upon return, the sun peeked out from behind the clouds for a few short minutes. Enough time for us to enjoy a pint in the sun
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb