We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
North Cal. Cyclocross
This Friday September 30th at 7pm the Rapha Cycle Club SF will open its doors to an art show dedicated to the spirit of North Cal. Cyclocross by following its roots through to its current spectacle. Brian Vernor plays host and curator to this array of artistic endeavors including photography, writing, sculpture, painting and collage as well as historic documents and images. There will be works from Willie K. Bullion, 'Pineapple' Bob Kurosawa, Pamela Palma, Jeff Hantman, Stevil Smith, Ray Stafford, Chris McNally, Paul Sadoff, Tom Simpson and Mike Ferrentino. Click through for select works and biographies of a few of the artists.
photo by Pamela Palma
Pamela Palma’s photography has appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle, Bike Monkey Magazine, National Geographic, FLYP , Gastronomica, and Meat Paper. Pamela draws inspiration from local artists, cycling, and eccentric culture. Pamela resides in San Francisco, CA.
by Stevil Smith
Stevil Smith, aka Drunkingham, makes art focusing on the underbelly of personal emotional dialog, primarily questions of his own physical abilities (or lack there of) and intellectual shortcomings. This focus is coupled with an intense interest in the extremes to which people go to toward achieving satisfaction, be it physical, spiritual, emotional, or sexual. Stevil Also runs a popular cycling blog, All Hail The Black Market.; Stevil resides in Soquel, CA.
Ray Stafford documented the North Cal. cyclocross scene from the mid-1970s through the 1980s. His Black and White photographs are a significant foundation for the history of American cyclocross racing. A former newspaper photographer, Ray currently resides in Las Vegas, NV.
photo by Brian Vernor
The show's curator Brian Vernor co-directed (with Willie K. Bullion) the first film about American cyclocross, Pure Sweet Hell. He also made the film Where Are You Go, about his 7,000 mile adventure from Cairo to Cape Towne. His photography is well known throughout the cycling media and industry, including work with the Rapha Continental is a fourth-generation resident of Santa Cruz, CA.
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX