We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
North Cal. Cyclocross
This Friday September 30th at 7pm the Rapha Cycle Club SF will open its doors to an art show dedicated to the spirit of North Cal. Cyclocross by following its roots through to its current spectacle. Brian Vernor plays host and curator to this array of artistic endeavors including photography, writing, sculpture, painting and collage as well as historic documents and images. There will be works from Willie K. Bullion, 'Pineapple' Bob Kurosawa, Pamela Palma, Jeff Hantman, Stevil Smith, Ray Stafford, Chris McNally, Paul Sadoff, Tom Simpson and Mike Ferrentino. Click through for select works and biographies of a few of the artists.
photo by Pamela Palma
Pamela Palma’s photography has appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle, Bike Monkey Magazine, National Geographic, FLYP , Gastronomica, and Meat Paper. Pamela draws inspiration from local artists, cycling, and eccentric culture. Pamela resides in San Francisco, CA.
by Stevil Smith
Stevil Smith, aka Drunkingham, makes art focusing on the underbelly of personal emotional dialog, primarily questions of his own physical abilities (or lack there of) and intellectual shortcomings. This focus is coupled with an intense interest in the extremes to which people go to toward achieving satisfaction, be it physical, spiritual, emotional, or sexual. Stevil Also runs a popular cycling blog, All Hail The Black Market.; Stevil resides in Soquel, CA.
Ray Stafford documented the North Cal. cyclocross scene from the mid-1970s through the 1980s. His Black and White photographs are a significant foundation for the history of American cyclocross racing. A former newspaper photographer, Ray currently resides in Las Vegas, NV.
photo by Brian Vernor
The show's curator Brian Vernor co-directed (with Willie K. Bullion) the first film about American cyclocross, Pure Sweet Hell. He also made the film Where Are You Go, about his 7,000 mile adventure from Cairo to Cape Towne. His photography is well known throughout the cycling media and industry, including work with the Rapha Continental is a fourth-generation resident of Santa Cruz, CA.
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb