We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Nocturne Series in Blackpool
Photos by Luke Bosman.
Over 4,000 spectators turned out for the Blackpool Nocturne on Saturday 1st August 2009. The third and final round of the series did not disappoint as cycling fans watched the racing along the North Promenade of Britain’s famous seaside town. Even the passing tribes of stag and hen-do's, decked out in various fancy dress costumes, stopped to watch the action.
Beneath the Blackpool illuminations Olympic gold medallist Ed Clancy of Halfords sprinted to victory in the Elite Criterium. Kristian House, Rapha Condor’s National Champion, made the first move over the 1km drag-strip style course. House opened a big gap but was chased down by the main pack, headed by CandiTV and Halfords. A group then broke away including Malcolm Elliott, Ian Wilkinson, Ed Clancy, Darren Lapthorne and Dean Downing. Matt Cronshaw put in a fizzing attack in the final three laps in an attempt to win on his local turf. However, Ian Wilkinson brought it back on the final circuit and Clancy was able to sprint out of sight of Dean Downing and Malcolm Elliott.
The Hoteliers Challenge allowed local hotel owners and staff to take the title of being the fastest in Blackpool. Matt Cossins from Sandford Hotel took the victory.
Rapha London’s Graeme Raeburn won his second Folding Bike Race of the series upon his pink Brompton. Look out next season for a 100% record.
The Cycling Weekly Support Race was easily won by Phil Hersey of Eagle RC, almost lapping the field towards the end.
Swiss track star Franco Marvulli arrived in Blackpool with no bike and kit. He had to walk the length of Blackpool’s promenade asking to borrow equipment from various teams. Fortunately Rapha Condor had a spare 57cm bike for him and Marvulli eventually finished in 18th place, between Rapha's Kristian House and Tom Southam.
Read more about the Nocturne Series.
Blackpool Elite Criterium
1. Ed Clancy (Halfords BikeHut) in 58-31
2. Dean Downing (Rapha Condor)
3. Malcolm Elliott (CandiTV-Marshalls Pasta)
4. Darren Lapthorne (Rapha Condor)
5. Simon Holt (CandiTV-Marshalls Pasta)
6. Ian Wilkinson (Halfords BikeHut) at 4secs
7. Matt Cronshaw (Rapha Condor) at 15secs
8. Russell Downing (CandiTV-Marshalls Pasta) at 38secs
9. Jon Mozley (Madison.co.uk)
10. Rob Partridge (Halfords BikeHut) at same time.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0
- The hills above. #raphasurvey http://t.co/jlIkXowxyT
- U23 winner in 2012 what's in store for @RichHandley90 in the @anpostras http://t.co/xyZWX3NbtG
- Sunday morning race day, church car park scene. @anpostras #ras2013 http://t.co/2E1UlfAxhe
- Will all these numbers be able to wear the coveted t-shirt in one weeks time? #menoftheras #ras2013 http://t.co/ai1oqnDIyh
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.