Cette page n'a pas encore été traduite en Français.
We are showing you the French version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vous visitez la version française de notre site internet. Voulez-vous changer de version?
Nocturne Series in Blackpool
Photos by Luke Bosman.
Over 4,000 spectators turned out for the Blackpool Nocturne on Saturday 1st August 2009. The third and final round of the series did not disappoint as cycling fans watched the racing along the North Promenade of Britain’s famous seaside town. Even the passing tribes of stag and hen-do's, decked out in various fancy dress costumes, stopped to watch the action.
Beneath the Blackpool illuminations Olympic gold medallist Ed Clancy of Halfords sprinted to victory in the Elite Criterium. Kristian House, Rapha Condor’s National Champion, made the first move over the 1km drag-strip style course. House opened a big gap but was chased down by the main pack, headed by CandiTV and Halfords. A group then broke away including Malcolm Elliott, Ian Wilkinson, Ed Clancy, Darren Lapthorne and Dean Downing. Matt Cronshaw put in a fizzing attack in the final three laps in an attempt to win on his local turf. However, Ian Wilkinson brought it back on the final circuit and Clancy was able to sprint out of sight of Dean Downing and Malcolm Elliott.
The Hoteliers Challenge allowed local hotel owners and staff to take the title of being the fastest in Blackpool. Matt Cossins from Sandford Hotel took the victory.
Rapha London’s Graeme Raeburn won his second Folding Bike Race of the series upon his pink Brompton. Look out next season for a 100% record.
The Cycling Weekly Support Race was easily won by Phil Hersey of Eagle RC, almost lapping the field towards the end.
Swiss track star Franco Marvulli arrived in Blackpool with no bike and kit. He had to walk the length of Blackpool’s promenade asking to borrow equipment from various teams. Fortunately Rapha Condor had a spare 57cm bike for him and Marvulli eventually finished in 18th place, between Rapha's Kristian House and Tom Southam.
Read more about the Nocturne Series.
Blackpool Elite Criterium
1. Ed Clancy (Halfords BikeHut) in 58-31
2. Dean Downing (Rapha Condor)
3. Malcolm Elliott (CandiTV-Marshalls Pasta)
4. Darren Lapthorne (Rapha Condor)
5. Simon Holt (CandiTV-Marshalls Pasta)
6. Ian Wilkinson (Halfords BikeHut) at 4secs
7. Matt Cronshaw (Rapha Condor) at 15secs
8. Russell Downing (CandiTV-Marshalls Pasta) at 38secs
9. Jon Mozley (Madison.co.uk)
10. Rob Partridge (Halfords BikeHut) at same time.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: LDN: great to have @DanMartin86 as guest barista in the club this afternoon. http://t.co/IeCC0HKuKr
- Part Two from @RigoZimmerman's series, ‘The Winter’ is now available to read → http://t.co/GIl5Kj9Sfy • Part One → http://t.co/8IclbHCHcc
- As teased at the weekend, Rapha is pleased to welcome the return of Alpe d’Quiz, three weeks of… http://t.co/od3pWXomm9