We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
London is famous for many iconic sites and one of its most enduring is Smithfield Market. A butcher’s paradise housed within a Victorian structure of iron, stone and glass, it has been a market destination for approximately one thousand years. It is also the venue for the London Nocturne, a twilight kermesse in the heart of the city first held by Rapha and Condor in 2007.
As far back as the eleventh century ‘smothe field’, in spitting distance of the city walls, was a place to buy and sell sheep and cattle and was also known for drunken violence. Ruffians’ Hall as it was affectionately called became a royally chartered cattle market in 1638. Livestock was driven in from outlying areas through the narrow lanes of Clerkenwell, causing havoc and knocking over drunks and prostitutes.
By the 19th century cattle was being sold by the millions and in 1868 Smithfield officially became the Central Meat Market of London. But this Dickensian maze of slaughtered animals is now a much safer, cleaner and well-mannered destination, but still catering for those who want to eat, drink and be merry.
That image of chaotic herds running through the streets is strangely echoed by the velocity and power of nocturnal circuit racing. For anyone who has yet to witness this breathtaking (for both spectator and participant) event, it doesn’t get much more dramatic and exciting than being inches away from a speeding pack of racers in the centre of the city.
And furthermore to Smithfield’s story, the site used to be the venue for many public spectacles including jousting tournaments, wrestling contests, freak shows and the gallows… The ‘Bartholomew Fair’ turned into a fortnight festival in the 16th and 17th century with tents for dancing, eating roast pork and, of course, drinking. It’s most appropriate then that the Smithfield Nocturne is continuing the area's legacy of sport, entertainment and frivolity.
The IG Markets Smithfield Nocturne - Saturday June 9th:
First race at 16.30 hrs
Elite Criterium at 21.00 hrs
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...
- UK: Thanks to all who came to to tonight’s Rapha Étape Evening in London with @CyclefitUK — one of our biggest turnouts yet.