We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Newton Steps out on a High
Chris Newton has announced he is retiring from professional racing on both road and track and will be joining the coaching staff at the Great Britain Cycling Team. Chris has won medals at the last three Olympic Games and the last two Commonwealth Games, as well as holding the World Champion title in the Team Pursuit and the Points Race.
Chris’ cycling talents on the road have been prominent in the past three years riding for Rapha Condor Sharp. The man from Stockton-on-Tees has won the Premier Calendar title three times, including this season's series. He has held the road National Champion title and won three stages of the RAS in Ireland.
Chris said of the move: "I’ve reached the stage in my career where I’m ready to step back from full-time racing and focus my attention on coaching. I’ve achieved a lot during my cycling career and I’m very grateful for the support I’ve received from so many people in helping me reach my goals."
British Cycling’s Performance Director Dave Brailsford said: "Chris has come to the end of a fantastic racing career and I think he has all the key ingredients that will make him a successful coach."
Rapha Condor Sharp team manager John Herety added: "It’s been a stellar year for Chris on the road in the UK and he will continue to race for Rapha Condor Sharp until the end of the season, so fans will have plenty of opportunity to see him in action before the year is out. As we go forward Chris will still play a part in the development of Rapha Condor Sharp, putting his renowned eye for detail into effect as a technical consultant to the team."
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb