We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Newton Steps out on a High
Chris Newton has announced he is retiring from professional racing on both road and track and will be joining the coaching staff at the Great Britain Cycling Team. Chris has won medals at the last three Olympic Games and the last two Commonwealth Games, as well as holding the World Champion title in the Team Pursuit and the Points Race.
Chris’ cycling talents on the road have been prominent in the past three years riding for Rapha Condor Sharp. The man from Stockton-on-Tees has won the Premier Calendar title three times, including this season's series. He has held the road National Champion title and won three stages of the RAS in Ireland.
Chris said of the move: "I’ve reached the stage in my career where I’m ready to step back from full-time racing and focus my attention on coaching. I’ve achieved a lot during my cycling career and I’m very grateful for the support I’ve received from so many people in helping me reach my goals."
British Cycling’s Performance Director Dave Brailsford said: "Chris has come to the end of a fantastic racing career and I think he has all the key ingredients that will make him a successful coach."
Rapha Condor Sharp team manager John Herety added: "It’s been a stellar year for Chris on the road in the UK and he will continue to race for Rapha Condor Sharp until the end of the season, so fans will have plenty of opportunity to see him in action before the year is out. As we go forward Chris will still play a part in the development of Rapha Condor Sharp, putting his renowned eye for detail into effect as a technical consultant to the team."
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…
- The #oneoftheseplease wk 3 includes some outdoor products from the likes of @polerstuff - Kletterwerks - and Filson: http://t.co/SG3aSEcjxN
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC