Cette page n'a pas encore été traduite en Français.
We are showing you the French version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vous visitez la version française de notre site internet. Voulez-vous changer de version?
Newton Steps out on a High
Chris Newton has announced he is retiring from professional racing on both road and track and will be joining the coaching staff at the Great Britain Cycling Team. Chris has won medals at the last three Olympic Games and the last two Commonwealth Games, as well as holding the World Champion title in the Team Pursuit and the Points Race.
Chris’ cycling talents on the road have been prominent in the past three years riding for Rapha Condor Sharp. The man from Stockton-on-Tees has won the Premier Calendar title three times, including this season's series. He has held the road National Champion title and won three stages of the RAS in Ireland.
Chris said of the move: "I’ve reached the stage in my career where I’m ready to step back from full-time racing and focus my attention on coaching. I’ve achieved a lot during my cycling career and I’m very grateful for the support I’ve received from so many people in helping me reach my goals."
British Cycling’s Performance Director Dave Brailsford said: "Chris has come to the end of a fantastic racing career and I think he has all the key ingredients that will make him a successful coach."
Rapha Condor Sharp team manager John Herety added: "It’s been a stellar year for Chris on the road in the UK and he will continue to race for Rapha Condor Sharp until the end of the season, so fans will have plenty of opportunity to see him in action before the year is out. As we go forward Chris will still play a part in the development of Rapha Condor Sharp, putting his renowned eye for detail into effect as a technical consultant to the team."
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX