We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Newton Steps out on a High
Chris Newton has announced he is retiring from professional racing on both road and track and will be joining the coaching staff at the Great Britain Cycling Team. Chris has won medals at the last three Olympic Games and the last two Commonwealth Games, as well as holding the World Champion title in the Team Pursuit and the Points Race.
Chris’ cycling talents on the road have been prominent in the past three years riding for Rapha Condor Sharp. The man from Stockton-on-Tees has won the Premier Calendar title three times, including this season's series. He has held the road National Champion title and won three stages of the RAS in Ireland.
Chris said of the move: "I’ve reached the stage in my career where I’m ready to step back from full-time racing and focus my attention on coaching. I’ve achieved a lot during my cycling career and I’m very grateful for the support I’ve received from so many people in helping me reach my goals."
British Cycling’s Performance Director Dave Brailsford said: "Chris has come to the end of a fantastic racing career and I think he has all the key ingredients that will make him a successful coach."
Rapha Condor Sharp team manager John Herety added: "It’s been a stellar year for Chris on the road in the UK and he will continue to race for Rapha Condor Sharp until the end of the season, so fans will have plenty of opportunity to see him in action before the year is out. As we go forward Chris will still play a part in the development of Rapha Condor Sharp, putting his renowned eye for detail into effect as a technical consultant to the team."
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...
- UK: Thanks to all who came to to tonight’s Rapha Étape Evening in London with @CyclefitUK — one of our biggest turnouts yet.