We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys
What started as a test question for our new San Francisco Cycle Club Manager became an interesting and somewhat telling all-company challenge.
Who are your top five cyclists, living or dead, retired or currently racing?
Before you take the challenge yourself, here are a few things you should know going into it:
1) It is next to impossible to get your list to five. As soon as you put your five down, you will likely say "…Oh yeah, and him, him, and I love him…." I wrote my list and immediately added another ten that I wish I could have squeezed into my top five.
2) Your five appears to be a reflection of your draw to the sport and perhaps a tell as to how you see yourself as a rider. Lists seem to be weighted either towards the direction of Classic hard-men or towards the more elegant Grand Tour racers. The brutal grace of Eddy Merckx tends to have him on lists from both camps.
3) Everyone loves Jens Voigt. Well, not everyone, but most everyone. Jens and riders like Jens who suffer and excite tend to have universal respect and admiration.
Here is a sampling of responses to get you thinking about your own top five:
Simon Mottram, Rapha Founder
John Herety, Team Director, Rapha-Condor-Sharp
Lucienne Van Impe
Jeremy Dunn, Rapha N.A.
Graeme Raeburn, Rapha Designer
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX