We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys
What started as a test question for our new San Francisco Cycle Club Manager became an interesting and somewhat telling all-company challenge.
Who are your top five cyclists, living or dead, retired or currently racing?
Before you take the challenge yourself, here are a few things you should know going into it:
1) It is next to impossible to get your list to five. As soon as you put your five down, you will likely say "…Oh yeah, and him, him, and I love him…." I wrote my list and immediately added another ten that I wish I could have squeezed into my top five.
2) Your five appears to be a reflection of your draw to the sport and perhaps a tell as to how you see yourself as a rider. Lists seem to be weighted either towards the direction of Classic hard-men or towards the more elegant Grand Tour racers. The brutal grace of Eddy Merckx tends to have him on lists from both camps.
3) Everyone loves Jens Voigt. Well, not everyone, but most everyone. Jens and riders like Jens who suffer and excite tend to have universal respect and admiration.
Here is a sampling of responses to get you thinking about your own top five:
Simon Mottram, Rapha Founder
John Herety, Team Director, Rapha-Condor-Sharp
Lucienne Van Impe
Jeremy Dunn, Rapha N.A.
Graeme Raeburn, Rapha Designer
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb