[ locale string ]
We are showing you the Taiwanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
My Favourite Jersey
“Do you only own one jersey?”
I get quite a lot of stick during the warmer months because I tend to wear the same short-sleeved jersey as much as I possibly can. Yes, I own alternative jerseys, and very fine jerseys they are too, but this one takes pride over all the others.
I’ve owned my favourite jersey for nearly five years and, whilst I’ve waited patiently for the Rapha product team to reinstate this particular one into the range, I don’t mind if it doesn’t happen. It’s still going strong and the only signs of its age (and heavy usage) is a slight cracking in the flocked lettering. Besides, I’m a fan of the more “lived-in” aesthetic. Like a favourite pair of jeans or shoes, it gets better with age and my jersey shows no sign of nearing retirement.
Me and this jersey have ridden in some spectacular places and whilst yes, I love the colour and the associations with the classic type on the front, “BRIVE-AGEN” (the Tour stage where, in 1951, Hugo Koblet rode off from a bunch containing Coppi, Bobet etc. and stayed away for 135km for the win), something about putting the jersey on gives me an extra kick. Of course, I’m no Hugo Koblet, but just a tiny fragment of my mind may feel I have the panache and verve of the Pedaller of Charm when I wear this jersey, and we all know that psychology plays a large part in any ride. Feeling good in your garments is half the battle, and if you can comb your hair whilst overtaking someone on a climb, chapeaux.
Undoubtedly it’s a classic design and I like the colour, yet I’ve ridden several major cols in this jersey and I always seem to have a good day on the bike when I put it on. There’s certainly more than an element of sportsman’s superstition there but I can’t help it, the writing is on the wall (or just below the chest). So here’s to you, my beloved Club Jersey, may we spend many more happy hours on the road together.
See the current collection of Rapha jerseys » www.rapha.cc/shop/jerseys
- No change overall at the Ras today, Rich Handley remains in 5th, and Mike Cuming stills leads KOM
- RT @anpostras: Provisional GC after Stage 5: Bialoblocki, McConvey, Guldhammer <all @st, Handley & Pelletier-Roy @24secs, Fodor @46secs, Hu…
- RT @anpostras: Mike Cuming (Rapha Condor JLT) Will wear Mountains Jersey again, after Stage 5 #Ras2013
- RT @NickLathamPhoto: @raphacondor Photos of Kristian House winning Durham stage in a blog post at http://t.co/wHX8d0mlQc #tourseries Pls R…
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX