We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
My Favourite Jersey
“Do you only own one jersey?”
I get quite a lot of stick during the warmer months because I tend to wear the same short-sleeved jersey as much as I possibly can. Yes, I own alternative jerseys, and very fine jerseys they are too, but this one takes pride over all the others.
I’ve owned my favourite jersey for nearly five years and, whilst I’ve waited patiently for the Rapha product team to reinstate this particular one into the range, I don’t mind if it doesn’t happen. It’s still going strong and the only signs of its age (and heavy usage) is a slight cracking in the flocked lettering. Besides, I’m a fan of the more “lived-in” aesthetic. Like a favourite pair of jeans or shoes, it gets better with age and my jersey shows no sign of nearing retirement.
Me and this jersey have ridden in some spectacular places and whilst yes, I love the colour and the associations with the classic type on the front, “BRIVE-AGEN” (the Tour stage where, in 1951, Hugo Koblet rode off from a bunch containing Coppi, Bobet etc. and stayed away for 135km for the win), something about putting the jersey on gives me an extra kick. Of course, I’m no Hugo Koblet, but just a tiny fragment of my mind may feel I have the panache and verve of the Pedaller of Charm when I wear this jersey, and we all know that psychology plays a large part in any ride. Feeling good in your garments is half the battle, and if you can comb your hair whilst overtaking someone on a climb, chapeaux.
Undoubtedly it’s a classic design and I like the colour, yet I’ve ridden several major cols in this jersey and I always seem to have a good day on the bike when I put it on. There’s certainly more than an element of sportsman’s superstition there but I can’t help it, the writing is on the wall (or just below the chest). So here’s to you, my beloved Club Jersey, may we spend many more happy hours on the road together.
See the current collection of Rapha jerseys » www.rapha.cc/shop/jerseys
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0