We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Lunch Ride: Oakley
At first glance, an 11-mile road loop may not seem that challenging. When you roll out and start the loop, however, do not be fooled by the shopping centers and huge intersections. Hidden within these hills is the 1984 Olympic Road Race course, one that would go on to define a whole era of cycling in the United States. Back then, they did a few more laps than the one that makes up the usual Lunch Ride from the Oakley HQ. That should not sway you from trying this ride for yourself. Find the finish line in Mission Viejo and you will also find a map of the entire route embedded into a lamp post. Steve Blick of Oakley, our good friend and ride leader, showed us the points of interest as we traversed one quick lap a few weeks ago. "This was the sight of the infamous illegal feed", or, "Over that hill is where Kobe lives". It is always good to do a new lunch ride with a leader as well-versed as Steve. As we happen to be in an Olympic year, if you find yourself on this ride, a sprint finish is mandatory.
People can be found riding it pretty much any day of the week, usually around noon.
Interesting Facts and Landmarks
The 1984 Olympic Road Race was won by American Alexi Grewal in a hotly contested sprint finish. See: Velominati article.
Next to Olympiad Road is Florence Griffith Joyner Olympic Park.
This ride comes equipped with its very own finish line built into the pavement in Mission Viejo.
Back to work! This is a lunch ride.
If you wish to submit your lunch ride to the collection please send an email to email@example.com. Also, take a look at the continually updated schedule of the Rapha Mobile Cycle Club to see if Hennie will be in your neighborhood.
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...
- UK: Thanks to all who came to to tonight’s Rapha Étape Evening in London with @CyclefitUK — one of our biggest turnouts yet.