We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Lunch Ride: Oakley
At first glance, an 11-mile road loop may not seem that challenging. When you roll out and start the loop, however, do not be fooled by the shopping centers and huge intersections. Hidden within these hills is the 1984 Olympic Road Race course, one that would go on to define a whole era of cycling in the United States. Back then, they did a few more laps than the one that makes up the usual Lunch Ride from the Oakley HQ. That should not sway you from trying this ride for yourself. Find the finish line in Mission Viejo and you will also find a map of the entire route embedded into a lamp post. Steve Blick of Oakley, our good friend and ride leader, showed us the points of interest as we traversed one quick lap a few weeks ago. "This was the sight of the infamous illegal feed", or, "Over that hill is where Kobe lives". It is always good to do a new lunch ride with a leader as well-versed as Steve. As we happen to be in an Olympic year, if you find yourself on this ride, a sprint finish is mandatory.
People can be found riding it pretty much any day of the week, usually around noon.
Interesting Facts and Landmarks
The 1984 Olympic Road Race was won by American Alexi Grewal in a hotly contested sprint finish. See: Velominati article.
Next to Olympiad Road is Florence Griffith Joyner Olympic Park.
This ride comes equipped with its very own finish line built into the pavement in Mission Viejo.
Back to work! This is a lunch ride.
If you wish to submit your lunch ride to the collection please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, take a look at the continually updated schedule of the Rapha Mobile Cycle Club to see if Hennie will be in your neighborhood.
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0
- The hills above. #raphasurvey http://t.co/jlIkXowxyT
- U23 winner in 2012 what's in store for @RichHandley90 in the @anpostras http://t.co/xyZWX3NbtG