We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Lunch Ride: Oakley
At first glance, an 11-mile road loop may not seem that challenging. When you roll out and start the loop, however, do not be fooled by the shopping centers and huge intersections. Hidden within these hills is the 1984 Olympic Road Race course, one that would go on to define a whole era of cycling in the United States. Back then, they did a few more laps than the one that makes up the usual Lunch Ride from the Oakley HQ. That should not sway you from trying this ride for yourself. Find the finish line in Mission Viejo and you will also find a map of the entire route embedded into a lamp post. Steve Blick of Oakley, our good friend and ride leader, showed us the points of interest as we traversed one quick lap a few weeks ago. "This was the sight of the infamous illegal feed", or, "Over that hill is where Kobe lives". It is always good to do a new lunch ride with a leader as well-versed as Steve. As we happen to be in an Olympic year, if you find yourself on this ride, a sprint finish is mandatory.
People can be found riding it pretty much any day of the week, usually around noon.
Interesting Facts and Landmarks
The 1984 Olympic Road Race was won by American Alexi Grewal in a hotly contested sprint finish. See: Velominati article.
Next to Olympiad Road is Florence Griffith Joyner Olympic Park.
This ride comes equipped with its very own finish line built into the pavement in Mission Viejo.
Back to work! This is a lunch ride.
If you wish to submit your lunch ride to the collection please send an email to email@example.com. Also, take a look at the continually updated schedule of the Rapha Mobile Cycle Club to see if Hennie will be in your neighborhood.
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.