Cette page n'a pas encore été traduite en Français.
We are showing you the French version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vous visitez la version française de notre site internet. Voulez-vous changer de version?
Illustration by Jack Saunders
As a road cyclist you either shave your legs or your friends assume you do. I have a running joke with my more conservative fraternity brothers from college about it, often reminding them: "I don't shave my legs because I ride road bikes, I ride road bikes so I can shave my legs."
Legs account for approximately 36% of the body's surface. That's a lot of work and a lot of potential for irritation. For men, add another 3 to 4% for the face and neck and shaving becomes a task.
My dentist once told me that the when it comes to tooth brushing, the brush is what does the work and the paste is there just to make the activity more pleasant. I find the opposite to be true for shaving.
One can buy into all the pizzazz of the latest 'Wonder Razor' advertised every Superbowl Sunday but I've found a safety razor or twin blade does the trick. All those extra blades just get clogged up, they don't last very long and they sure cost a pretty penny. It's the shave cream in combination with hot water that, for me at least, does the work.
More than ever before though, I've come to enjoy my shaving experience because of shave cream. Specifically, Rapha Shaving Cream. Just spinning the top off the tin and seeing the embossed "Ventoux" is a pleasant enough mental distraction for me. At that point I'm already in a good place. The cream lathers up just thick enough to prepare the whiskers but not so sticky and thick that it won't rinse from the blade. I get a nice, smooth finish and my skin is nicely moisturized. Used tins also make great storage for nuts and bolts, treasure, or just for pens and pencils.
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX
- If you're in Scottsdale, Arizona, make sure to stop by the beautiful new @bicyclehaus shop. 2 - 7pm. http://t.co/gsWtf6fa45
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.