We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Library of Congress - Women on bikes
The Library of Congress, an archive run by the United States' Federal library, has an amazing collection of historical photographs. This post is the first in a series from these archives, digging out some of the best images from the history of cycling. The first selection highlights women in cycling over the last century.
Photo selection: Laura Fletcher.
A little miss hitting the mark. Although her mind is far from vengeance to be wrecked on the Axis powers, this little lady is contributing to their defeat. She has gathered up an old bicycle tire and other odds and ends to contribute to the scrap rubber collection drive. Reclaimed rubber made from these materials is playing an imcreasingly important part in the war effort. Large percentages of "reclaim" are now being used in many material articles, such as combat tires, self-sealing gas tanks, etc.. Help build up Uncle Sam's scrap rubbe pile by contributing any no longer used rubber articles you may have. 1942.
Photographed by Martha McMillan, Howard R. Hollem, Albert Freeman or Howard Liberman.
Miss M. Kearns with bicycle. She'd been riding her bicycle for 25 years, 1922.
Photo copyrighted by Underwood & Underwood.
Actresses as bicycle riders [7 illustrations of actresses with bicycles: 1. Effie Ellsler; 2. Cissy Fitzgerald; 3. Anna Held; 4. Queenie Vassar; 5. Mrs. James Brown Potter; 6. Miss Georgia Cayvan; 7. Miss Lillian Russell], 1896.
Julia Obear, messenger girl at the National Women's [i.e. Woman's] Party headquarters, 1922.
Woman in a room with a bicycle saying to a man and child, "Sew on your own buttons, I'm going for a ride", 1899.
For more information on the LOC please see here
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX
- If you're in Scottsdale, Arizona, make sure to stop by the beautiful new @bicyclehaus shop. 2 - 7pm. http://t.co/gsWtf6fa45
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG