We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Library of Congress - Women on bikes
The Library of Congress, an archive run by the United States' Federal library, has an amazing collection of historical photographs. This post is the first in a series from these archives, digging out some of the best images from the history of cycling. The first selection highlights women in cycling over the last century.
Photo selection: Laura Fletcher.
A little miss hitting the mark. Although her mind is far from vengeance to be wrecked on the Axis powers, this little lady is contributing to their defeat. She has gathered up an old bicycle tire and other odds and ends to contribute to the scrap rubber collection drive. Reclaimed rubber made from these materials is playing an imcreasingly important part in the war effort. Large percentages of "reclaim" are now being used in many material articles, such as combat tires, self-sealing gas tanks, etc.. Help build up Uncle Sam's scrap rubbe pile by contributing any no longer used rubber articles you may have. 1942.
Photographed by Martha McMillan, Howard R. Hollem, Albert Freeman or Howard Liberman.
Miss M. Kearns with bicycle. She'd been riding her bicycle for 25 years, 1922.
Photo copyrighted by Underwood & Underwood.
Actresses as bicycle riders [7 illustrations of actresses with bicycles: 1. Effie Ellsler; 2. Cissy Fitzgerald; 3. Anna Held; 4. Queenie Vassar; 5. Mrs. James Brown Potter; 6. Miss Georgia Cayvan; 7. Miss Lillian Russell], 1896.
Julia Obear, messenger girl at the National Women's [i.e. Woman's] Party headquarters, 1922.
Woman in a room with a bicycle saying to a man and child, "Sew on your own buttons, I'm going for a ride", 1899.
For more information on the LOC please see here
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0