We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Library of Congress - Women on bikes
The Library of Congress, an archive run by the United States' Federal library, has an amazing collection of historical photographs. This post is the first in a series from these archives, digging out some of the best images from the history of cycling. The first selection highlights women in cycling over the last century.
Photo selection: Laura Fletcher.
A little miss hitting the mark. Although her mind is far from vengeance to be wrecked on the Axis powers, this little lady is contributing to their defeat. She has gathered up an old bicycle tire and other odds and ends to contribute to the scrap rubber collection drive. Reclaimed rubber made from these materials is playing an imcreasingly important part in the war effort. Large percentages of "reclaim" are now being used in many material articles, such as combat tires, self-sealing gas tanks, etc.. Help build up Uncle Sam's scrap rubbe pile by contributing any no longer used rubber articles you may have. 1942.
Photographed by Martha McMillan, Howard R. Hollem, Albert Freeman or Howard Liberman.
Miss M. Kearns with bicycle. She'd been riding her bicycle for 25 years, 1922.
Photo copyrighted by Underwood & Underwood.
Actresses as bicycle riders [7 illustrations of actresses with bicycles: 1. Effie Ellsler; 2. Cissy Fitzgerald; 3. Anna Held; 4. Queenie Vassar; 5. Mrs. James Brown Potter; 6. Miss Georgia Cayvan; 7. Miss Lillian Russell], 1896.
Julia Obear, messenger girl at the National Women's [i.e. Woman's] Party headquarters, 1922.
Woman in a room with a bicycle saying to a man and child, "Sew on your own buttons, I'm going for a ride", 1899.
For more information on the LOC please see here
- The #raphaprestige story is up. Film by @WEREHAUS, photos from Brian Vernor & story by @krasniakjulie ::http://t.co/YtCARBlXee
- Clancy takes the win in the Tour series in Aberystwyth.
- @alainrumpf sorry for late reply. Comprehensive site is http://t.co/gBvpR134lP. As Udo Bölts once said, 'quäl' dich, du Sau!' Enjoy!
- On Friday May 31st, Rapha will be hosting a ride from Rapperswil-Jona on the banks of Lake Zurich. More info to follow next week on rapha.cc
- Boss. Norwegian national champion's replica jersey and bib shorts now at rapha.cc. http://t.co/fpyjc3PeiM
- As the #Giro begins to climax, @herbiesykes looks at one of its long-established traditions—the one-stage wonder. → http://t.co/mydWSIHSrT
- @clotho_nor Hi Christopher, please email email@example.com and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks.
- The Tour Series continues tonight in Aberystwyth. Last year Kristian House took his second win of the series there.
- UK: We are hosting a @letapedutour evening on 14th June in London to provide detailed advice on what to expect. → http://t.co/2gP5KRi8fX
- Churchill → http://t.co/5yhkiupJAH #raphasurvey #wayfaring #cycling